Sunday, February 19, 2012

Home

 I share with you a now funny, it wasn't at the time, story that evidences our stumbling blocks in finding a house.

Our realtor told us she had a listing which was a short sale she wanted us to see.   We fell in love with it.  It was in a great neighborhood, it was in the elementary school boundaries we wanted, it was very well maintained etc. etc.  The home was listed as a short sale and offers were ending in a couple days.  If we wanted to make an offer we would need to do it quickly.  I kept thinking, "This is too nice of a home for what they are asking.  I can't believe we came across this house."


Well, we hurried the paperwork through staying up until all hours to get everything submitted for our offer.  I nervously and anxiously and fidgetly (if that is a word) waited for word from the realtor.  "Mrs. Shelley, there is a small problem on our offer."  My stomach lurched.  "What could be wrong?"  I am thinking to myself here.  "Well, your offer was made on the wrong house," she said.

What?  Are you kidding?  Yes, this is true.  I know shake your head and chuckle under your breath, it is true. There was another short sale listing just a few houses down on the same street.  The house the realtor showed us was another sale listing for a higher asking price.  Yet, the address on our offer was for the listing we did not see.  So here we were making an offer on a home we had never even stepped foot in.


Of course the realtor was very apologetic, "This has never happened to me in all the years I have shown houses."  She promised she would have our offer withdrawn.  


So yes we inadvertently put an offer on a listing sight unseen by the mistake of our realtor.  So after a few months of taking a break from looking we set out with a new realtor (wonder why?) to look again.


My husband called and said he wanted me to go look at a listing the realtor had shown him.  "Just look at the bones," he said.  Well, that instantly got me excited!  Feel the sarcasm in that line.  The bones were there after I looked at the house and good thing because the rest of it NOT so much - Cookie Monster stained carpet throughout, a painted mural (nicely done but not our style), an unfinished master bath etc.  but with it all this really felt like our home.  I will end my long story there and leave out the headache of going through the short sale process but in the end we bought a home!








We don't particularly love the color of our front door.  Painting it is on our really long to-do list.  My sister suggested we decorate it for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment